Planning and preparedness are things that every professional in every industry who is, or has been very successful or masterful at what they do makes a priority.
They are proof that planning and preparation begets success.
But it is also the way we think as much as it is the way we act.
Preparing and planning is more than just writing down a goal or two and posting them on a wall. Knowing how to get where your are going, anticipating obstacles along the way, how to overcome them if they happen and how to deal with the angst that setbacks can bring all dictate when and how success comes, or even if it does at all.
The right mindset is a key aspect of success as much as the planning is.
Some of the greatest leaders and masters in their industries know this and live or lived by it. Planning and preparation for what does, or might lie ahead is the very way these people achieved what they did.
From Sun Tzu ( 544–496 BC) and Confucius (551–479 BC) to modern day successes like Elon Musk, Will Smith and Oprah Winfrey, all of them advocated planning and preparing.
Plan, be prepared and be willing to do what it takes to be successful. Opportunity will arrive.
Business Continuity is a planning discipline that these same principals apply too.
Here are fifteen (15) planning and preparedness quotes from great thinkers and planners spanning 2500 years.
1) "Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure". - Confucius
2) "The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand". - Sun Tzu
3) "For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish".’- Luke 14:28-33 ~ Holy Bible
4) "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe" - Abraham Lincoln
5) "Before anything else, preparation is the key to success". - Alexander Graham Bell
6) "Let our advance worrying become advance thinking and planning". - Winston Churchill
7) "The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining". - John F. Kennedy
8) "Your biggest enemy is the unknown and assumptions.” - LTG Christianson
9) "Our thinking and our behavior are always in anticipation of a response. It is therefore fear-based". - Deepak Chopra
10) “Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”. - Warren Buffett
11) "Even with all our technology and the inventions that make modern life so much easier than it once was, it takes just one big natural disaster to wipe all that away and remind us that, here on Earth, we're still at the mercy of nature". - Neil deGrasse Tyson
12) "Fundamental preparation is always effective.". - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
13) "Some people don't like change, but you need to embrace change if the alternative is disaster". - Elon Musk
14) "I feel that luck is preparation meeting opportunity". - Oprah Winfrey
15) "I've always considered myself to be just average talent and what I have is a ridiculous insane obsessiveness for practice and preparation". - Will Smith